ZCCD

Projects / I Wish You Were Here – a postcard project

  
Sabrina Nelson, Mutare Post Office (2013)
“I Wish You Were Here” is a postcard project were a selected group of artists from Detroit produce observation drawings in pencil from black and white photographic images taken in Mutare. In response artists based in Mutare produce drawings of the same nature from images shot in Detroit. This project was made in collaboration with Elizabeth Muusha, Director of the National Gallery of Zimbabwe in Mutare (NGZ Mutare).
NGZ-Mutare-postcards100
The image above was taken showing the stack of postcards at the entrance of NGZ Mutare
Image above was taken at Popps Packing, an artist residency and gallery which exists as one of the satellite spaces in Detroit for the project.
Kumbulani Zamuchiya in Detroit holding Mutare artist, Bradean Chitenderu’s postcard of the ice-cream parlor behind him.
Haleem “Stringz” Rasul in Mutare holding a postcard by Detroit artist, Sabrina Nelson, depicting Mutare’s post office building behind him.

“I Wish You Were Here” – archive

Digital reproduction on paper 4” x 6” Multiple
Mutare based artists-
Kundai Maradze, One Mile, 2016
Artist community run space from the Northend area of Detroit that used the “mother ship” spaceship in a garage on Oakland Street.
Biggie Matore (2014) – Charles H. Wright Museum, 315 E Warren Ave, Detroit
The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History is located in the Cultural Center of the U.S. city of DetroitMichigan. Founded in 1965, it holds the world’s largest permanent exhibit on African American culture. In 1997, Detroit architects Sims-Varner & Associates (now SDG Associates) designed a new 120,000 square foot (11,000 m²) facility on Warren Avenue[1] The Wright Museum has dual missions, serving as both a museum of artifacts and a place of cultural retention and growth.
motown-museum
Brendon Muchabaiwa (2014) – Motown Museum, 2648 W Grand Blvd, Detroit
Hitsville U.S.A.” is the nickname given to Motown‘s first headquarters. A former photographers’ studio located at 2648 West Grand Boulevard in DetroitMichigan approaching the New Center area, it was purchased by Motown founder Berry Gordy in 1959.
It was converted into both the record label’s administrative building and recording studio, which was open 22 hours a day (closing from 8 to 10 AM for maintenance). Following mainstream success in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Gordy moved the label to Los Angeles and established the Hitsville West studio there, as a part of his main focus on not only music production, but also television and film production.
Enock Matumbure (2014) Baker’s Keyboard Lounge, 20510 Livernois Street in Detroit
Baker’s Keyboard Lounge is the world’s oldest operating jazz club, operating since May 1934.
Many famous musicians, especially jazz musicians, have played in the club during its history, such as Louis ArmstrongJohn ColtraneOscar PetersonFats WallerMeade LuxErroll GarnerArt TatumPat FlowersNat King ColeElla FitzgeraldTommy FlanaganGeorge ShearingCab CallowayBetty CarterGerry MulliganSonny StittKenny BurrellBarry HarrisDonald ByrdEarl KlughPepper Adams, and Miles Davis have all performed at the club.[2]Gene Krupaperformed with his Quartet for several engagements at Baker’s.[7]
Mrs. Sharon Bilang (2013) Hindu Temple
Bradean Chitenderu (2013) Burk’s Igloo Icecreem, 10300 Conant St, Hamtramck, MI
The corner cone booth adorned with a cartoon igloo and a friendly penguin attracts people of all ages with popular short-order menu items ranging from a coney and fries to their best-selling Avalanche ice cream dessert. The Avalanche (similar to Dairy Queen’s Blizzard) starts with a small ($2.65) and ranges all the way up to a monster-sized Avalanche ($6.50), complete with 48 oz. of soft-serve ice cream chock-full of whatever kind of candy you and the kid inside of you crave. Burk’s has had locals lined up for their ice cream since the 1960s.
Eben Gowero (2013) The Kowalski Sausage Company, 2270 Holbrook Ave, Hamtramck.
Emigrating from Poland to America was the way to a dream life. Agnes and Zygmund Kowalski both believed this and began their careers as owners of a small grocery store on Chene Street in Detroit, Michigan. Wanting to bring their favorite foods from the old country to the USA they added a smokehouse to the store and production of Polish Kielbasa and other sausages began. Demand grew and a factory was built in 1920 on Holbrook Avenue in Hamtramck, Michigan.
The leadership of the Kowalski Sausage Company passed from generation to generation with Steve Kowalski, son of the founder, leading the company beginning in the 1950’s and his son Ronald taking over in the 1970’s, establishing Kowalski as one of Michigan’s finest meat processing enterprises. Today, Michael Kowalski and Linda Kowalski Jacob together continue to manage and uphold the traditions of Kowalski Kowality.
Sharon Bilang, Hindu Temple, 2013
This was original UAW (united Auto Workers Association) headquarters that got renovated into a Hindu Temple.
Christwish Mulunga (2013) Baitul Mukarram Masjid, 12203 Conant St, Hamtramck
This mosque (Arabicبيت المكرّم‎; Bengaliবায়তুল মোকাররম; The Holy House) was named after the national mosque of Bangladesh. Located at the center of Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh, the mosque resembles the Kaaba in Mecca. It is the largest mosque in Hamtramck which is populated mostly by moslems from Bangladesh and Yemen.
Detroit based artists-
Faina Lerman, 2018
Julie George, Civic Centre, 2016
The Foundation stone of the Civic Centre was laid on the 22nd of May 1959 by then Governor Vice Admiral Sir Reveille William Power and was officially  opened on the 7th of June 1960 by the then Prime Minister Sir Edgar Whitehead in the colonial era of Southern Rhodesia. Today the building consists of a three story section with the Council Suite, Committee Rooms, and Mayor’s parlor. The Council Chamber was built to accommodate 30 councillors. The Civic Centre is built on a beautiful land which was once a diary farm.
Fatima Sow (2014) Mutare Hall
Tim Van Laar  (2014) Fire Brigade Building
Municipal fire station was built in 1950 and is located along Robert Mugabe Avenue.
Stephanie Buer ( 2014) Herbert Chitepo Road
It was named after Herbert Chitepo was a nationalist and politician. He was born on June 5, 1923 at Honda in Inyanga District and was the first black lawyer in Zimbabwe. Herbert Chitepo was president of the Zimbabwe African National Union Liberation War Movement in then Rhodesia. He died on 18 March in 1975 in Lusaka, Zambia.
Sabrina Nelson (2013) Mutare Post Office
Opened in 1973 under the Post and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ). Mutare Post Office is located on Robert Mugabe Avenue, Light Industry and is opposite the Civic Centre and Courtauld Theatre.
Clinton Snyder (2013) Moffat Hall
It is the centre of all social activities in Sakubva high density suburbs and is also known as Moses Mvenge Hall.
Dylan Spaysky (2013) National Gallery of Zimbabwe in Mutare
National Gallery of Zimbabwe in Mutare was opened in 1999 at Kopje House in Mutare. It was declared a monument in the late 1970s and is thereafter became a culture house under the custody of the National Museums and Monuments.